Principal Engineer (Design Group)
Company: Barry-Wehmiller Design Group
Posted on: November 28, 2018
Design Group is a leading Engineering, systems integration, and IT consulting firm, capable of providing complete operating solutions for consumer products, life sciences, and other industrial sectors. Design Group provides engineering, project management, regulatory compliance, and other technology services to the world?s leading companies. Our organization is staffed by over 1,400 engineering and technical specialists, operating from over 40 global offices in the US and India,? Design Group provides professional engineering, architectural and construction management services through our wholly owned and professionally licensed subsidiary, Design Group Facility Solutions, Inc.We are focused on providing our professionals with opportunities for leadership and career advancement within a thriving work environment and a unique ?people-centric? culture. We offer a robust, centralized learning and development program to improve the career experience for every professional.Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of engineering consulting and manufacturing technology for the packaging, corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries. By blending people-centric leadership with disciplined operational strategies and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a $3 billion organization with more than 11,600 team members united by a common belief: to use the power of business to build a better world. For more information, go to www.barrywehmiller.com ?and visit our CEO Bob Chapman?s blog at www.trulyhumanleadership.com. Job SummaryThe overall role of the Principal Engineer is to lead and mentor Engineering Design Teams in assigned office(s). The teams include Architectural, Structural, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing disciplines. The primary goal of the Design Team is to produce designs and construction drawings that meet our clients? specific needs, with a high level of quality, in the most efficient manner. The responsibilities of the role include operations management, resource management and client development.Responsibilities A partial list of specific responsibilities for the position are outlined below.WORKLOAD & PRODUCTIVITY
- Provide daily administration of the staff in setting workload priorities for all projects.
- Manage workload planning and project assignments, in conjunction with the Discipline Leads and Project Managers.
- Determine when additional resources are needed. Facilitate acquiring this additional capacity by temporarily supplementing the Design Team with professionals from other Design Group offices, or through recruiting permanent new professionals.
- Coordinate with other office Engineering Managers to support workload resourcing, production quality, and development of professionals.
- Monitor the design team weekly utilization/ billable hours to maintain the optimum level of productivity.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals for new work.? This includes defining the scope of required activities, as well as estimating level of effort (person-hours) to accomplish this scope.MENTORSHIP
- Mentor staff to improve their body of knowledge and capabilities in alignment with the office and overall practice goals.
- Encourage the individual growth and improvement of the capabilities of each member of the Design Team. Look for and offer opportunities for growth and advancement of team members.COORDINATION
- Actively promote design coordination across all disciplines.
- Monitor productivity throughout the design development process.
- Ensure that the Design Team has a full understanding of the scope and client expectations communicated at project kickoffs and meetings.
- Ensure timely and thorough design coordination occurs amongst all members of the Design Team and, at a minimum, at the 30/60/90 design progress milestones.
- Recognize when extra or out-of-scope engineering work is being requested or performed. Assist the Project Managers and Discipline Leads with change management.QUALITY
- Actively participate in the review of all design deliverables to ensure the production of the highest quality work product. Mark up drawing sets and specifications, and review with the Discipline Leads and Project Managers.
- Identify root causes for these errors or omissions in the drawings and specifications and take corrective action to address the root causes with the Design Team.
- Seek input from the Discipline Leaders, Project Managers and the Construction Team for lessons learned on every project. Develop plans to implement the continuous improvements represented by these lessons learned to ensure better performance on future projects.
- Minimum 7 years of experience managing multi-discipline design teams in an A&E environment.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in the design and production of complete issue-for-permit and issue-for-construction drawing packages in an A&E environment.
- Experience as Engineer or Architect of record.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with our valued team members and clients.
- Excellent computer skills including, MS Office, MS Project, BlueBeam.Education
- BS degree in Architecture or a BS degree in Mechanical, Civil, Structural or Architectural Engineering from an ABET accredited school is required.
- MS in a related field is highly desired.Licenses
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect License required.Language
Keywords: Barry-Wehmiller Design Group, Bellingham , Principal Engineer (Design Group), Education / Teaching , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!