Company: Lummi Indian Business Council
Posted on: July 7, 2019
JOB TITLE: Principal (K-12)
OPEN: July 1, 2019
CLOSES: July 10, 2019
SALARY: $50.47 to $56.52 per hour DOE
LOCATION: Lummi Nation School
DURATION: Regular Full Time - 12 month Contract
JOB SUMMARY: Lummi Nation School and Lummi Nation High School are
both a Washington State Tribal Education Compact School - treated
similarly to that of the 292 state public school districts for
purposes of administration and a federal Bureau of Indian Education
(BIE) contract school governed by the Lummi Indian Business
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following,
and other related duties as assigned.
- Serve as K-12 Principal reporting to the Education Director and
is responsible for the administration and safety of the schools in
accordance with the rules and regulations of the State Board of
Education, the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction,
the BIE and the policies adopted by the Lummi Nation Education
- Direct supervision of all K-12 staff; certificated; classified;
School Facilities Operations/Maintenance (O&M); Athletic
Department; overall staffing; supervision; assignment and
evaluation of all employees
- Establish a vision and mission for the schools in collaboration
with Lummi Education Director, the Lummi Nation Education Board
(LNEB), members, and stakeholders.
- Formulate and recommend to the LNEB for evaluation and
approval, the long- and short-range objectives for all aspects of
- Work closely with the Vice-Principal, Special Education
Director and Student Support Director to enforce district
discipline guidelines, using applied research, and best
- Work closely with LNEB and Curriculum Director with curriculum
development, evaluation implementation, assessment schedules, and
school-wide data reporting.
- Create an environment and provides leadership for the
development and implementation of long- and short-range plans for
achieving school initiatives with State, BIE, district and Tribal
- Provide the Education Director and Lummi Nation Education Board
(LNEB) with reports, information and guidance which will enable the
School Board to make appropriate decisions in the operation of the
- Work closely with the Education Director, Office of the
Reservation Attorney and LNEB in areas needing policy development,
student discipline, mediations and vendor contracts.
- Interpret, implement and administer district policies, either
personally or by delegation to the appropriate staff, and/or parent
and community groups.
- Provide educational leadership for the involvement of staff in
the continuous development, implementation, evaluation and revision
of the instructional program to comply with the goals and
objectives of the community, State and BIE requirements.
- Work closely with the Curriculum Director on policies and
procedures related to evaluation and selection of instructional
materials in accordance with legal requirements and sound
educational best practices.
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation of curriculum,
instructional methods, instructional materials, instructional
support and staff development programs of the district.
- Work closely with LIBC Human Resource Department on
recruitment, evaluation and employment qualified personnel as
required by State Law and BIE rules and regulations.
- Maintain good working relationships with staff and maintains
open lines of communication with employees, organizations, parents
and community members; act as a liaison between the school and
- Maintain membership and participates in activities of
appropriate professional organizations; attends conferences,
workshops and professional development seminars in order to stay
current with WAC, RCW and BIE rules and regulations.
- Develop and manage policies and establish safety procedures for
public use of school buildings, facilities and equipment; ensuring
building is safe and secure.
- Responsible for overall operation and maintenance of school
facilities and transportation units within established policies and
facility plans; work closely with Operation & Maintenance
- Work collaboratively with the administration team and finance
to prepare an annual school budget.
- Administer and manage the educational school system within the
district approved budget limits and in accordance with LIBC
procurement policy, State Laws and Education Code.
- Assist the Education Director and LNEB with establishing and
maintaining a communication system which informs the community
about district goals, objectives and accomplishments in relation to
- Utilize parents, LIBC partners and community resources to
assist in furthering educational objectives.
- Participate in community affairs and school-related events in
both school and non-school activities; maintains visibility and
accessibility when on campus
- Structure, create, implement and monitor parent involvement
plans as required by the State, BIE and LNEB policy.
- Communicate through the proper channels to keep the Education
Director and LNEB informed of impending problems, needs, or events
of unusual nature.
- Develop and implement student policies according to state and
federal guidelines; such as, instruction, promotion, retention,
guidance, health services, record, enrollment, attendance, gifted,
special needs and discipline.
- Keep current in educational issues with an awareness of
research, reform, technology, curriculum, instruction and
- Participate in State and Federal management meetings and
activities appropriate for professional development, school
improvement, instructional practices, laws and best practice.
- Delegate's responsibilities to appropriate staff members and
monitor and evaluate follow through.
- May have responsibility for other assignments as directed by
- MA in Educational Leadership
- Washington State Certification in P-12 School Principal
- 2.5 years work experience as a classroom teacher
- 3 years of work experience working within the Lummi Community
with high-risk youth and families in supplying community support
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver's license and meet
eligibility requirements for tribal insurance.
- Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Keywords: Lummi Indian Business Council, Bellingham , Principal (K-12), Education / Teaching , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!