Company: Philanthropy Northwest
Posted on: May 9, 2022
Community Food Co-Op was established in 1970 opening its first
storefront in the Fairhaven District of Bellingham, WA. Since that
time, the Co-Op has grown and thrived. The Co-Op currently operates
3 locations in the Bellingham area with over 20,000 members.As we
have continued to grow and expand our services, we have held true
to our Mission and Values.We are aconsumer-owned grocery store
serving our community with quality products and honest information.
We are committed to maintaining the economic viability of the Co-op
in order to:
- Promote cooperative ownership by fostering member involvement
and responding to member needs.
- Build community by respecting diversity and cultivating
connections within the Co-op and Whatcom County.
- Encourage informed choices by educating ourselves and our
community on issues of food, healthy lifestyles, the environment,
and human rights.
- Model ethical business and employment practices by acting with
honesty, integrity, and respect in the workplace and
- Promote a sustainable economy by supporting organic and
sustainable food production and other environmentally and socially
responsible businesses locally, regionally, and nationally. Role
Responsibilities: - Job OverviewThe General Manager (GM) is hired
by and reports directly to the cooperative's board of directors,
which is elected by its members/owners. The Community Food Co-op
board uses Policy Governance---(PG), which provides a structure for
maintaining a productive relationship between operations and
governance and provides the board with tools to effectively oversee
the general manager. In the PG structure the co-op's goals are
articulated through "Ends Policies" and the GM's work is guided
through "Boundary Policies". [Link to the Co-op here.]The General
Manager directly supervises 8 positions including 3 store and food
management positions and 5 administrative and operations positions.
The GM engages with community and staff, builds a common
understanding of co-op's role in the community, and engages in
community outreach. This role is responsible for the strategic
administration and organizational evolution of the cooperative
within the policies and direction set by the board of directors.
The GM is accountable for the development and success of the
individual departments that comprise the cooperative, as well as,
for the collective as a whole.A successful candidate will clearly
demonstrate their ability to convert theory into action, interpret
board vision/strategy into implementable tactics at the staff
level, and bring an innovative outlook to our Co-op. Candidate
Qualifications: - Required Experience
- 5 + years experience in either retail, grocery and/or
cooperatives (I.e.- as a general manager, store manager, operations
manager, or district manager)
- 3+ years experience of direct staff management successfully
operating in a leadership role facilitating and integrating
business-wide feedback into strong decision-making
- Strong business acumen including business growth and
- Fiduciary skills with knowledge and understanding of financial
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and comfort as
a highly visible public spokesperson.
- Effective interpersonal and professional relationship skills
with a proven ability to exchange information and collaborate with
colleagues and peers within and outside the organization.
- Proven track record:
- Cultivating high-performing collaborative teams
- Working with various community groups, constituencies,
representatives and key stakeholdersPreferred Experience
- Strong integration of an equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI)
- Ability to implement change management
- Understanding of systems development and monitoring
- Knowledge of various operational models to increase Co-op
performance Nonprofit Professionals Now is supporting Community
Food Co-op with this key hire. A complete job description and
application information is available at:
Deadline: May 31, 2022
Keywords: Philanthropy Northwest, Bellingham , General Manager, Executive , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!