Clinical Processing Lead
Company: Northwest Pathology, PS
Posted on: May 26, 2023
To maintain equity with existing team members, dependent upon
various factors, new team members are generally brought in at a
rate that typically falls from the minimum to the midpoint of the
range. Final compensation placement will vary based on many
factors, including placement of existing team members, work
experience, skills, geographic location, etc. the stated pay range
is our good faith belief at the time of this posting.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The Clinical Processing Lead will coordinate and perform tasks and
activities in the pre-analytical department of the clinical
laboratory. This position will monitor the daily workflow of
incoming clinical specimens, assist and direct other techs on
appropriate actions, and keep leadership informed of the completion
To be eligible for this position, employee must meet the following
- Minimum of 3 years in clinical laboratory.
- Completion of all departmental competencies.
- Ability to train and mentor clinical processing staff.
Northwest Pathology, P.S. dba Avero Diagnostics operates on a
24/7/365 basis; individual may be required to work various shifts,
including days, nights, weekends, and holidays. Schedule
flexibility with and without advanced notice is required.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Assists in unpacking, sorting, and triaging of incoming
- Accessions, labels, and processes all incoming clinical
specimens from Avero patient service centers, In Office
Phlebotomists (IOPs), and outside clients.
- Maintains that all aspects of processing, handling, and
resulting of specimens referred out to reference laboratories
(routine and esoteric) are carried out in an accurate, efficient,
and timely manner
- Researches specimen requirements for reference labs and
arranges for critical specimen handling and complex transportation
arrangements when needed.
- Refers to appropriate policy and procedure manuals as necessary
and communicates with reference labs for proper specimen
- Under the supervision and direction of a medical technologist
performs test processing in certain areas of the clinical lab which
may or may not include the following:
- Various duties in microbiology which may include routine
culture setup, setting up MIC's, logging patient demographics into
- Logging and distribution of patient test specimens from the
processing areas in the lab to the respective test areas
- Point of Care and waived testing, as required.
- Keeps leadership informed of the malfunctioning of any lab
- Processes all laboratory test requisitions and specimens
quickly, efficiently, and appropriately
- Consistently determines proper priorities when organizing daily
tasks and is able to adjust schedule in view of STAT's
- Assists other laboratory personnel as workload permits and
performs tasked assigned by lab leadership. Lead & Training Duties:
- Responsible for mentoring, training, and competency
completion/renewal of new and existing processing staff.
- Assists in specimen resolution for in-house and send-out
testing, including collaboration with other affected departments
such as operations, billing & RCM, and customer service.
- Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve client
satisfaction. Makes recommendations to the manager, implements, and
monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of
the clinic and Avero Diagnostics.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies,
laws, and guidelines that impact the Laboratory area. Develops
effective internal controls that promote adherence to applicable
state/federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation
agencies and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice
and guidance as necessary to ensure proper understanding.
- Assists supervisor with administrative needs, daily checklists,
compiling quality metrics, and department supply ordering.
- Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and
trends in the field of phlebotomy by attending team meetings and
reading professional journals. Integrates knowledge gained into
current work practices. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION/LICENSE
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; college degree is a
- Active and valid US State-Issued Driver's License with
acceptable motor vehicle record as defined and approved by the
company's vehicle insurance carrier. EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3 years of experience required:
- Specimen collection and/or processing in a clinical laboratory
environment (i.e. hospital, reference lab, provider office,
- Phlebotomy experience and/or certification a plus.
- Experience in a leadership, training, or mentor role a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- General knowledge of clinical lab departmental functions,
specimen types, and basic specimen requirements preferred.
- Dedicated to providing excellent patient care.
- Can work well in a team environment with rotating
- Can demonstrate Microsoft Office suite and Windows operating
- Minimum typing speed of 25wpm.
- Exhibits patience and approachability, sets positive tone and
example for team member behavior, work ethic & quality, abilities,
skills and overall performance.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain confidentiality at all levels;
acts with high integrity.
- Establishes and maintains solid interpersonal relationships
with team members across all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrates and facilitates professional communication skills;
must be able to understand, listen, write and speak fluently,
professionally, and, effectively in the English language.
- Motivated, responsible and organized self-starter who excels at
time management, timely follow-up, meeting commitments, and,
possesses a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, research and
problem-solving skills. Pro-active ability to identify, assess,
improve/refine and solve complex challenges, processes and/or
- Ability to successfully work collaboratively within a team as
well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Flexible and able to thrive in a fast paced, high growth,
team-based environment while successfully handling competing and
ever-changing priorities and responsibilities with frequent
- Solid track record of taking responsibility and holding one's
self accountable for high quality task deliverables within
- Effective facilitation, collaboration, negotiation and conflict
- Exhibit personal presentation in a professional manner as it
relates to appearance, communication and actions.
- Proficient software/computer skills utilizing various
applications which includes, but is not limited, to the following:
MS Windows, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, health care
- Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Focused on overall team success vs. solely on individual
success. WORKING CONDITIONS
- We share a collaborative obligation to ensure that we conduct
ourselves in the utmost ethical manner and that we hold each other
accountable to the values and standards of the organization. Every
employee has the responsibility to ask questions, seek guidance,
and report concerns and/or violations of company policy or ethical
- The organization has several processes in place to communicate
with leadership and expects that employees will have a commitment
to integrity and uncompromising values.
- This position works in a demanding, fast-paced office and lab
environment with the need to meet daily workload requirements.
Incumbent may be exposed to chemicals and requires the use of
personal protection equipment and universal precautions.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as
computers/keyboards/mice, printers, phones, mobile devices,
photocopiers, filing cabinets, fax machines, etc. The noise level
in the office work environment varies from moderate to loud.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10
pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force
constantly to move objects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk or hear; sit; stand; walk; use hands to
finger, handle or feel; grasp and/or reach with hands and arms;
repetitive movements of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
visual acuity and ability to adjust focus to perform an activity
such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; reading reports,
various forms charts or records, transcribing; viewing computer
monitor(s); extensive reading; and legally operate a motor
The statements contained herein reflect general details as
necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the
level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of
responsibility but should not be considered an all-inclusive
listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties
and/or work various shifts as assigned including work in other
functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work
periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do
not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change
at the discretion of the employer.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Keywords: Northwest Pathology, PS, Bellingham , Clinical Processing Lead, Healthcare , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...