Medical Technologist - Core Testing
Posted on: April 13, 2019
JOB SUMMARY:Responsible for performing complex laboratory
procedures and tests in areas such as blood bank, chemistry,
hematology, immunology and microbiology, using established
protocols and procedures. Monitors, screens and troubleshoots
devices, tests and procedures, recognizing anomalies, and making
corrections to ensure quality.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Evaluates specimens for testing, utilizes appropriate criteria
and upholds established performance standards. Applies established
criteria for testing, and analysis of entire process from
preparation, conducting test, functioning of devices and procedures
to ensure quality test results. Performs waived, moderate and high
complexity laboratory tests.
- Maintains equipment and tools; performs quality assurance
testing, routine calibration and ensures optimal performance.
- May assist Technical Specialist or Supervisor with the
evaluations of new methods and procedures.
- Consults with clinicians, supervisor and other caregivers as
appropriate on test results, requirements and testing
- Gives direction and guidance to phlebotomy and specimen
management teams, may assist with orientation of new caregivers and
students, and accesses competencies if incumbent has at least 4
years experience for moderate complexity testing, and 1 year of
experience for high complexity testing.
- Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data.
Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting
- Participates in department in-services and continuing education
programs, attending lectures, workshops and video presentation as
required. Participates in required competency assessment and
proficiency testing activities. Provides (CAP, HIPAA, etc)
- Performs other duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONSEDUCATION:
- Bachelors degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biological
Science or an equivalent related science.
- Current with ongoing education requirements for continuous
- 2 years of clinical experience performing high complexity
testing in a clinical laboratory department
- Certified Medical Technologist, ASCP or equivalent is required
within six months from date of hire.OTHER SKILLS:
- Ability to recognize and ensure validity of abnormal patient
and/or QC results for testing.
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test
requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in
responding to inquiries
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft
Windows, and Microsoft Office programs
- Moderate lifting up to 35 pounds
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages,
ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and
do minor repairsWORKING CONDITIONSWorks in a clinical laboratory or
hospital setting. Intermittently (1-5% of the time) works in other
office, client and conference facility environments. Continuous (67
- 100%) exposure to moderate noise level. The ability to frequently
(34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%)
handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and
carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of
up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of
both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 -
100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other
items. Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work
at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to
identify and distinguish colors is required. Tasks involve
potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or
other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use
of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
Keywords: PeaceHealth, Bellingham , Medical Technologist - Core Testing, Healthcare , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!