Company: Whatcom Community College
Posted on: January 7, 2020
Classified, Custodian 2
$2,536.00 - $3,272.00 Monthly
Facilities & Ops
1/20/2020 4:59 PM Pacific
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a Custodian 2
(Class Code 678J) position in the College's Facilities and
Operations Department. This recruitment is open to all qualified
applicants. The Custodian 2 under general supervision of the
Custodial Supervisor performs custodial tasks to maintain
cleanliness and care of facilities within assigned area on the WCC
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Classrooms: Dust furniture, edges, vents, window seals,
corners, railing, blinds; straighten and move chairs, desks and
furniture; clean chairs, desks and furniture; mix cleaning
chemicals; clean ceilings, walls, doors and tables; clean and wipe
chalkboards, whiteboards and trays; clean exterior, interior and
entry way glass; high dust and clean fixtures and ledges.
- Restrooms: clean graffiti; clean and sanitize restroom toilets,
urinals, mirrors, counters, tiles, walls partitions, floors, and
restroom hardware; refill, soap, toilet paper, paper towels and
sanitary dispensers; unplug toilets and sinks; deep clean
restrooms, shower rooms, locker rooms, using pressure
- Floors: Sweep, mop and scrape floors and stairs; run auto
scrubber; scrub, buff, deep clean floors; strip and apply finish;
clean spills and burnish floors.
- Carpets: Vacuum carpets; spot removal; deep clean carpets and
furniture using extraction.
- Offices/Lunch room/ Room Upkeep: Dump trash, compost, replacing
liners and washing containers; dump recycling, breaking down
- Supplies: Pick up, deliver, organize custodial supplies and
equipment; pick up, sort, wash, dry, fold, deliver custodial
- Clean and sanitize biohazard. Daily maintenance of custodial
tools and equipment.
- Clean food service: Kitchen floors, walls, windows, tables,
chairs and doors.
- Daily preview of cleaning area and setting priorities. Write
maintenance repair and safety work requests.
- Unlock/lock doors and turn off lights of
- Empty landfill, recycling, and compost, and promote "Green
- Follow recommended safety procedures and attend safety
- Requires punctual and regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the
custodial position including lifting up to 50 pounds and
standing/walking a good portion of the shift.
- One-year part-time custodial experience or six months full-time
custodial experience. Comparative custodial educational experience
can substitute for actual custodial position.
- Certification by Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and
- Certification in floor care and commercial carpet maintenance
- CPR, First Aid training.
- Bloodborne pathogens training.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Outreach
- Experience in a community college/higher education work
- Develops innovative ideas that provide solutions to all types
of workplace challenges and brings ideas to supervisor.
- Earns the trust, respect, and confidence of coworkers and
public through consistent honesty, forthrightness and
professionalism in all interactions.
- Actively contributes to a work environment that embraces
diversity and uses diverse perspectives to enhance the attainment
of organizational goals. Treats everyone with respect and dignity,
and appreciates the differences in people.
Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and ability to safely handle cleaning chemicals,
cleaning equipment and tools.
- Flexibility to adjust shift to days with advanced notice to
meet the needs of the institution.
- Ability to stay focused on tasks in spite of distractions and
interruptions. Makes the best use of available time and
- Accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness
of work. Coordinate with building occupants to ensure operational
needs and cleaning standards are maintained. Recognize and identify
maintenance issues and submit work orders for their
- Valid Washington driver's license and insurability.
Salary & Benefits:
- Range 32, full-time salary starting at $2,536 per month with
periodic increments to $3,272 per month. Benefits include life,
health, dental and long-term disability insurance, State retirement
plan, vacation and sick leave and holiday pay.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Shift and Working Conditions:
- Position's work schedule is 40 hours per week, 5 consecutive
days or nights, (shift and schedule may be subject to change based
on college needs). Work is generally performed indoors; HVAC
systems may be in setback during working hours. Outside movement in
exposed weather while moving from building to building or dumping
trash or recycling is a daily occurrence. Summer hours may be
Application due date:
- Applications due on Monday January 20th, 2020 at 4:59 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the
applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Current resume.
- List of three recent professional references with contact
- Written exam detailing relevant experience and training.
*In order for your application to be reviewed we do require a
complete application.Please contact us if we can offer any
assistance at (360)383-3406.
Keywords: Whatcom Community College, Bellingham , Custodian 2, Other , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!