Maintenance Aide II - Parks Seasonal
Company: BELLINGHAM CITY OF
Posted on: May 31, 2021
Nature of Work
Seasonal Positions are available in Parks. These seasonal
positions will be filled as soon as possible. Length of season will
vary depending on the positions. These positions are open until
filled and may be closed at any time.
Starting hourly rate is at Step 1 ($14.32/hour) for full time
positions. The full salary range for this position is $14.32/hour -
This posting is open for Parks positions only. Please see
www.cob.org/jobs for other postings, including any currently
available seasonal positions in Public Works.
The Parks and RecreationDepartment currently has several
vacancies for the 2021 season:
Maintenance Aide II - Facilities
2 positions - 6 Month Season
Maintenance Aide II - Grounds
1 position - 6 Month Season
NATURE OF WORK:
This position performs basic seasonal grounds and facilities
maintenance. Specific duties depend upon program area assigned
which include multiple divisions within the Parks and Recreation
Department. Performs a variety of manual labor in the construction,
maintenance, repair, operation and service work of all parks and
public works facilities. Operates hand and power tools and
motorized equipment. Work consists of routine and repetitive tasks,
processes and/or operations and will be performed cooperatively
with other employees and completed in a manner that assures
individual, co-worker and public safety in all weather and working
conditions. Program area assignments may change from day to day
depending upon Department needs. Usually works as part of an
assigned crew in an assigned unit but may have an individual or
specialized assignment after a period of training. May be called
out for emergency work.
- Completes scheduled maintenance activities in a variety of City
facilities and parks which includes but is not limited to mowing,
trimming, edging, care of trees, rose gardens, shrub beds, leaf and
debris removal, mulching, weeding, planting and repair, watering,
litter pick-up, painting, pressure washing, window washing,
vacuuming, sweeping, emptying trash containers, cleaning and other
- Sets up traffic control devices including barricades, flags and
performs other safety related duties. May be required to follow
protocols regarding confined spaces, lockout tagout. Performs
traffic marking tasks utilizing paint sprayers and torching
thermoplastic traffic markings.
- Assists workers in higher classes in utility work including
cutting, fitting, laying, connecting and installing various sizes
of water, sewer and storm lines; installs valves, tees crosses,
reducers, sleeves, manholes, catch basins etc., per
- Assists workers in higher classes in construction, installation
and repair of structures, equipment or other amenities such as
trails, trail structures, signs, steps, retaining walls, irrigation
systems, drainage systems, cemetery burial amenities and cemetery
- Assists with Illegal Camp removal, removing trash and
accumulated debris from camp sites.
- Performs manual labor such as digging, shoveling, raking,
picking, hammering, lifting, carrying, pushing a wheelbarrow and
other similar manual labor.
- Operates a variety of hand tools and power equipment. Examples
of this equipment include line trimmers, chainsaws, brush chipper,
hedge shears, blowers, chalk liners, line painters, field sweepers,
pressure washers, drills, etc.
- Operates a variety of automotive equipment including small
tractors, pickup trucks with trailer attachments and mowers. Drives
dump trucks (with manufacturer's weight rating of less than 26,001
pounds) to remove material, haul dirt, gravel, etc. as needed.
- Completes set-up and take down of a variety of basic equipment
such as PA systems and athletic field equipment and assists in
set-up, repair or take down of more complex equipment such as
irrigation systems, drainage systems or cemetery burial
- Conducts daily visual inspection and maintains all assigned
equipment. Maintains tools by cleaning and ensuring proper
storage.Reports tool needs and concerns to Supervisor.
- Performs Lockup/Security function in community park
facilities.Patrols park system, cleaning and maintaining facilities
and restrooms; informs the public of park regulations as needed.
Facilitates reservations and events as needed. Completes set up and
take down of a variety of basic equipment such as PA systems and
athletic field equipment.
- Answers questions and concerns from the public as well as other
staff in other program areas.
ADDITIONAL WORK PERFORMED:
- Logs information, complete work orders and paperwork required
- Performs other related work of a similar nature and level.
Physical abilities to perform the essential functions of the job
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate hand and power equipment
safely and efficiently.
- Correctable vision to read instructions and work safely around
- Adequate hearing to effectively hear voice radio and crew
communications, roadway traffic and alarms in a noisy
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor including operating
mechanical equipment for extended periods of time, climbing and
working from ladders and setting up tents.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive hand and arm
- Ability to work overhead for extended periods of time.
- Physical ability to continuously stoop, bend, climb
occasionally work in confined spaces or from heights and frequently
lift and carry heavy objects in the 50 lb range and occasionally
weights of approximately 100 lbs utilizing proper body mechanics,
mechanical and other assistance.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all weather
conditions and on City streets and right-of-ways, in close
proximity to roadway traffic, in an industrial plant environment or
on uneven terrain, some of the time in remote work sites. The work
involves a moderate risk work environment which requires employees
to follow established safety procedures in operating equipment and
vehicles, handling irritant materials, working in unsanitary
conditions, performing repetitive activities, etc. Employees are
required to wear personal protective equipment, use appropriate
safety equipment and follow standard safety practices. Experience
- Previous experience in grounds and facilities maintenance or
manual construction labor using manual and power tools and
motorized equipment preferred.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Employment contingent upon passing a criminal convictions
check, child and adult abuse records check and local background
- Valid Washington State Drivers License by time of hire and
proof of a good driving record. A three-year driving abstract must
be submitted prior to hire.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule involving
working evenings, weekends and holidays, as assigned. (Required by
- At least 18 years old by time of hire.
Applications will be reviewed to ensure they are complete. All
complete applications will be forwarded tothe Parks and Recreation
Departmentfor further review. Candidates will be contacted by the
departmentif they are selected for additional review.
Our environment is characterized by respect for cultural
backgrounds, belief systems, and ethnic diversity. The City of
Bellingham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in
its work force. We do not discriminate or make decisions on the
basis of an individual's race, religion, creed, color, national
origin, sex, marital status, age (40+), disability, retaliation,
sexual orientation or gender identity, honorably discharged veteran
or military status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual
assault, and stalking, use of a trained dog guide or service animal
by a person with a disability, or any other basis prohibited by
local, state, or federal law. All are encouraged to apply for
Fair Hiring Practices
- The City provides individuals who have been arrested or
convicted of a criminal offense an equal and fair opportunity to
- The City will not inquire about an applicant's criminal history
until after a conditional job offer has been made.
- The City will disregard the prior arrest and conviction record
of an otherwise qualified individual unless the offense is directly
related to the job position for which the individual has
- The City will notify an otherwise qualified applicant about a
potentially disqualifying conviction and give the applicant an
opportunity to submit information regarding the accuracy of the
criminal records as well as evidence of mitigation or
rehabilitation, as appropriate.
Keywords: BELLINGHAM CITY OF, Bellingham , Maintenance Aide II - Parks Seasonal, Other , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!