Company: Highgate Senior Living
Posted on: June 7, 2021
The Dining Services Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the
nutritional needs and preferences of the residents while
communicating any changes with all Team Members. The DSS will
provide a high-caliber of food in taste, quality and variety in
accordance with Highgate Senior Living policies/procedures. This
position manages the dining team activities, such as training,
adherence to safety regulations, scheduling and monitors
performance to ensure the highest quality of service is provided to
residents and their friends and family. This position requires the
ability to lead and influence those around them in a positive
1 - ORGANIZE AND COORDINATE DINING PROGRAM
The DSS will maintain the highest standards of food quality and
safety to include a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours per week
spent in production i.e. cooking meals which includes serving one
(1) meal in the Cottage (rotating weekly between lunch and dinner).
The DSS will hire, train, and supervise Dining Room Team Members.
The DSS will attend the Resident Council or food committee meeting
to review each resident's menu preferences.
2 - RESIDENT SATISFACTION.
The DSS will meet with each new resident and maintain a list of
resident's food preferences-including dislikes-in addition to any
special dietary needs. The DSS will ensure all residents have
accurate and up to date diet cards posted at a conspicuous place in
the main kitchen for the Manor and in a designated space in the
Cottage/Chalet. The DSS will coordinate with the HD and/or RCC as
needed to provide input on the resident Service Plan. The DSS will
walk the dining room daily (including Cottage/Chalet dining rooms
if applicable) and visit with residents to assess each resident's
response to meals in the following areas:
- Proper temperature
- Portion size/waste
- Menu selection/alternatives
- Gather other suggestions/comments.
The DSS will strive to provide excellent customer service by
fostering good relationships with the residents through active
listening, being attentive to resident needs, concerns, and
comments and make every effort to exceed resident expectations.
MAINTAINING A CLEAN KITCHEN
A clean kitchen is a reflection of professionalism and
maintaining high food safety production standards. The DSS will
follow the schedule on the "Cleaning and Sanitation Log" to ensure
that all food service areas are maintained in a clean, safe and
organized manner. This schedule is to be posted to identify daily
and weekly cleaning assignments and who is responsible.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages all aspects of food service to meet the needs of the
- Prepares meals according to established menu, recipes,
production quantity, texture modifications and any therapeutic diet
- Hires and provides orientation and instruction to new
- Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of the
Dining Program to provide high quality, customer-focused food
- Cook and season food according to residents' preferences
gathered during monthly dining committee.
- Produces food by following portion control guidelines to ensure
recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas.
- Receives and checks orders and stores supplies. Maintains
established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage
- Coordinates workflow in assigned area and provides work
direction to dining services team members. Reviews and approves the
- Ensures that the Dining Program follows safety and sanitation
practices and procedures set by State, County, Federal and
- Ensures maintenance of kitchen equipment and informs the
appropriate person if equipment requires repair.
- Attend, and keep minutes of residents dining committee meetings
and implement whenever possible.
- Coordinate with the CRC, RCC and LEC for food related needs for
marketing and activities.
- Be familiar and comply with Highgate's Team Member handbook,
policies, procedures as well as state and local licensing
- Provide In-Service training to team members during monthly team
meeting and as needed.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Additional duties as assigned.
STATE LICENSING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Knowledge, understanding and implementation of the state
licensing guidelines pertaining to food preparation, serving
temperatures, sanitation, storage, therapeutic diets and quality
- Knowledge and understanding in promoting Resident/Personal
Rights and the concept of personal choice.
- Knowledge of identifying and reporting resident abuse.
- Keep a current budget flow sheet to monitor concurrent spending
and stay within the PRD.
- Make certain that staff hours, food, supplies and purchased
services stay within budget guidelines.
- Keep overtime to a minimum. ED must approve all scheduled
- Neat and professional in appearance.
- Good communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Build positive relationships with residents, resident families,
staff and volunteers.
- Prepare food items for activities and marketing events.
- Arrive and remain at work during the times designated by the
- Attend the morning stand-up meeting.
- Follow-through with meal preparation as needed throughout the
- Confer and verbally review potential areas of concern with
Manor/Cottage/Chalet staff and the ED prior to leaving for the
- At least 21 years of age
- Possession of/or ability to obtain, ServeSafe ,CPR and First
Aid certification within thirty (30) days of hire
- Current TB test
- Possession of/or ability to obtain Food Handler's Permit within
thirty (30) days of hire
- Proof of the ability to work in the US (I-9 form) within three
(3) days of hire (required); adhering to renewal documentation
- Health Screening and Finger printing (California and Arizona
- Negative Criminal record/background statement
- Ability to lift 50 pounds with assistance (see below Physical
- Walking and lifting throughout the day (see below Physical
- Ability to comply with Personnel Policies and Procedures
Handbook as outlined above.
- Ability to complete training/certifications within prescribed
time frames by your supervisor.
- Residents will be treated with respect and dignity while
providing care and protecting resident rights.
- Team Members will not work under the influence of illegal drugs
- Team Members will have passion for the work and promote the
name of Highgate in a positive way.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere with residents, family,
vendors and fellow Team Members, embracing the leadership
Keywords: Highgate Senior Living, Bellingham , Chef, Other , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!