Maintenance Mechanic 1
Company: Whatcom Community College
Posted on: January 14, 2020
Classified, Maintenance Mechanic 1
$3,871.00 - $4,378.00 Monthly
Facilities & Ops
1/27/2020 4:59 PM Pacific
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a Maintenance
Mechanic 1 (Class Code 626J) position in the College's Facilities
and Operations Department. Under general supervision of the
Maintenance Supervisor, this position performs various maintenance
related tasks to effectively maintain and develop our campus
facilities to meet the highest expectations for cleanliness,
safety, functionality, aesthetics, and customer service with a
focus on continuous innovation and improvement of facilities.This
position interacts with the supervisor, co-workers and various
members of the campus community to accomplish work. Designated work
will be assigned by the supervisor. Some work assignments may also
come from the supervisor or leads through verbal, electronic or
written work requests.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Repairing, assembly and installation of furniture, equipment
and campus property;
- Light carpentry, sheet rock repairs, painting, and
- Assisting and coordinating duties of Support Associates in
basic job functions;
- Furniture and equipment moves;
- HVAC filter changes and basic mechanical equipment
- May make trips off campus to pick up supplies, materials, keys,
- Responds to campus emergencies, building alarms, emergency
repairs, and inclement weather conditions, which on occasion may be
outside of normal work hours;
- Perform building lock/unlock and basic inspection;
- Snow/ice removal;
- Perform related duties as required, which may include general
- Requires punctual and regular attendance.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Valid Washington driver's license and insurability.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the
maintenance position including lifting up to 50 pounds and
standing/walking/stooping a good portion of the shift, as well as
ability to climb ladders.
- High School Diploma or GED AND two (2) years of general work
experience in building and equipment maintenance, construction or
- Computer competency and knowledge of MS Windows operating
system (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Basic locksmithing skills and understanding of door/window
- Basic knowledge of plumbing, and or electrical
- Basic knowledge of carpentry, sheet rock, interior finishes and
the use of related building materials.
- Commercial electrical maintenance and, or troubleshooting
- Low voltage wiring experience, such as class 2 fire alarm or
HVAC control wiring.
- Commercial HVAC experience.
- Experience in a community college/higher education work
- Develops innovative ideas that provide solutions to all types
of workplace challenges and brings ideas to supervisor.
- Earns the trust, respect, and confidence of coworkers and
public through consistent honesty, forthrightness and
professionalism in all interactions.
- Actively contributes to a work environment that embraces
diversity and uses diverse perspectives to enhance the attainment
of organizational goals. Treats everyone with respect and dignity,
and appreciates the differences in people.
The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- An understanding and follow applicable standards to
establish/maintain a safe work environment.
- The ability to adapt easily to changing business needs,
conditions and work responsibilities.
- Good communication with customers to ensure effective
completion of work orders and maintain excellent customer
- The ability to focus on tasks, working efficiently and handling
- A physical ability to perform the functions of the job
including ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and agility to
bend/walk/stand for extended periods of time and climb ladders.
- Range 44G, full-time salary starting at $3871 per month with
periodic increments to $4378 per month. This position is a
unionized position represented by the Washington Federation of
State Employees. The successful candidate has the choice to be a
union paying member or not.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including
health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a
*Additionally, as a Washington State, public higher education
institution, WCC offers the following:
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for the
program. If you work for the College full time, have had Direct
Loans and are on an eligible repayment plan, you are eligible to
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in
the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which
provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Shift and Working Conditions:
- This position will work Monday-Friday business hours. Work
schedule may vary from season to season depending on specific needs
of the college. The position requires the ability to work both
indoors and outdoors, often in inclement weather. The ability to
safely handle power, trades tools, equipment and other maintenance
related products is essential to this position.
Application Due Date:
- Application due on Monday, January 27th, 2020 at 4:59 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the
applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Diversity statement that addresses how you have committed to
equity and inclusion in the past and how you might support a
diverse workplace and educational environment through this
- Current resume.
- List of three recent professional references with contact
Keywords: Whatcom Community College, Bellingham , Maintenance Mechanic 1, Professions , Bellingham, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!